Saturday, February 16, 2008

Weekly Recap


Well another work week came to an end and was as productive as the first. Still getting acquainted with the University’s systems, but making great headway. Had my new hire orientation with the benefits coordinator and "wow" what awesome benefits!! 21 vacation days, 14 holidays, 15 sick days, plus 2 weeks for the Christmas/New Year holiday. Medical, dental, free tuition at the University for the employee and their family and awesome retirement....the employee contributes 8% and the university contributes 14.5% for a total of 22.5% and you get to choose whether you want to contribute to the Government Employees Retirement System (GERS) or with TIAA-CREF. Unbelievable!

Jay still likes his job. Being out on boats all day, how could you not. He had to work today, which is probably going to be the case for most Saturdays, but they are going to try and give him Sundays off so that we can have at least one day off together. Since he was working, I took another Saturday morning walk. (see picture above) This time I walked to the University and back and then down to Brewers Bay beach. It's up hill the entire way to the University and it took 18 minutes. But coming back I found a shortcut down a bunch of stairs and paths and it only took 9 minutes. So I'm wondering if I should be walking to work instead of dropping Jay off, then coming back to the University and then back to pick up Jay and then back to the University. I may try it Monday and see how it goes. We only have two more weeks at the University and then I'll have to drive, so I should try it while I can.

Speaking of driving, we used our first tank of gas. It took 12 days to use 12.7 gallons and drive 195 miles. It cost $49.30 to fill up. That's right.....$3.88 a gallon and I'm only getting 15.5 miles per gallon. Crazy!

Some friends from home are coming in today so we'll be going to dinner with them tonight. It'll be fun playing tour guide. Next week a big group of friends will be coming in and staying on St. John for 10 days. We plan on going over next weekend and crashing at their villa!! I can't wait to see them!

Deb

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think you get me a job at the University too!! Do they need a darn good accountant with an MBA degree?? The benefits are awesome there. ANd I could really handle being able to go to Magen's Bay whenever I wanted!!! I'm going to pack right now! LOL

Weather